Monday, January 21, 2008

The XX v. XY Debate

So my family is taking bets. My sister told me that everyone suspects I'm carrying a girl.

I don't yet know what we're having. We've scheduled the full anatomy scan for next month -- when I hit 20 weeks' gestation. I imagine we'll find out then.

There's sometimes a chance that an earlier ultrasound can predict the baby's gender. My first two did not. My gut tells me that, had there been a penis to see at the last ultrasound (conducted about four weeks ago), the tech would have pointed it out. She said that she didn't like to guess because predictions made based upon ultrasound readings taken at that early stage have only a 40% chance of being accurate. (Although, as Brent pointed out, that seems curious considering gender is an either/or proposition, and if you guess blindly, you have a 50% chance of being correct. Strange.) So I think it's a girl, too, although I can honestly say I have no strong preference, apart from it being a healthy, happy baby. There are benefits and drawbacks to both, and we'll love whatever we get.

Still, the votes aren't all in, and it's just too early to tell.

No comments: